THE PRESBYTERIAN CHURCH OF RADFORD
JOB TITLE: Office Manager/Bookkeeper
The Office Manager provides organizational skills, word processing skills, and administrative services for the pastor, church staff, and identified church committees. Bookkeeping responsibilities include: all financial recordkeeping, data collecting, filing, and preparing budget areas for auditing.
- Computer literacy
- “Office 2010” skills and the ability to use Excel
- Willingness to learn and master Church Windows
- Effective communication and human relations skills
- Organizational skills and the ability to prioritize assignments
- Capability to prepare various budget databases, perform payroll functions, submit federal and state taxation reports, track expenditures and disbursements, work with statistical reports, conduct bank reconciliations, record and track quarterly contributions and any other budgetary functions used by the church.
- Job performance will be reviewed by the Human Resources Committee after a three-month trial period, and then conducted on a biyearly schedule. Collaboration on job performance will also include input provided by congregational committees and pastor.
- Ongoing administrative supervision for the position will be the responsibility of the pastor in collaboration with the church treasurer.
- To assist the pastor with typing, filing, and routine correspondence as needed.
- To collaborate with congregation to establish and maintain a yearly church calendar.
- To answer all incoming calls, respond to voice messages, and appropriately address general correspondence.
- To process incoming and outgoing mail expeditiously.
- To assist church employees as needed.
- To receive church members in a helpful manner.
- To collaborate with church leaders to update the church membership list and contact information sheets.
- To maintain correct official church records, e.g. confirmations, baptisms, weddings, deaths.
- To create programs (when necessary) for weddings, memorial/funeral services, and other special services and events.
- To order office, janitorial, kitchen, and general church supplies.
- To prepare all mailings which include, but are not limited to, letters to the congregation, quarterly newsletters, and announcements for special occasions.
- To prepare and print Sunday Service bulletins, including appropriate inserts when necessary.
- To supervise volunteers when necessary.
- To prepare the agenda and working packets for all Session meetings, including all relevant budget/financial documents.
- To assist the Clerk of Session by typing Session minutes and other relevant documents for the packet.
- To send out emails reminding appropriate church members of committee meetings, Session meetings, Fellowship Coffees, etc.
- To email congregational members of news about happiness and tragedies occurring within the Church.
- To collaborate regarding church announcements on the website.
- To order coffee, SERRV items, poinsettias, Easter Lilies, bulletin inserts, etc.
- To communicate congregational needs to elders and support group coordinators for action.
- To schedule property and maintenance appointments and prepare contracts for work done for the Property committee.
- To oversee and coordinate facility usage agreements with the Property committee.
- To collaborate with church leaders to post inclement weather and/or cancellation notices via email, Facebook, and local television networks.
- To make weekly trips to the bank, deposit checks and cash and update giving records in a timely manner.
- To make trips to the post office as necessary.
- To prepare Annual Budget Accounts Setup and Presentation Report in collaboration with the Stewardship Committee.
- To prepare monthly financial reports for the Session meetings.
- To prepare computer database list of weekly offerings/pledges; list of weekly disbursements.
- To review bills, prepare checks each week for the treasurer to sign, and file all relevant paperwork.
- To prepare payroll, submit monthly federal and state taxes, submit W-2’s annually, and prepare monthly bank reconciliations.
- To work with SSA, state tax filings, EOY payroll reports, quarterly federal tax reports. Workers’ Compensation Audit, and State Corporation Filing.
- In collaboration with church leaders, maintain a computer entry log of all designated funds including: notification of family recognized, donor thank you acknowledgements and fund distribution.
- To prepare all required remittance to Presbytery- monthly, quarterly, and annually.
- To record and track congregational quarterly contributions.
- To prepare and distribute quarterly contribution statements.
- To prepare and disseminate all campaign materials (letters/envelopes, commitment tracking cards, reminder notices, and acknowledgments) for the annual Stewardship Campaign.
- To prepare and submit Minister’s Terms of Call annually.
- To submit the Annual Statistical Report.
- To receive annual financial/software updates
- To commit to utmost confidentiality while employed by the Presbyterian Church of Radford and upon departure from employment.
- To meet resignation notification of 30 days’ advanced notice in writing to pastor if needed.
- To work 25 hours/week, scheduled and communicated in collaboration with pastor.
BENEFITS AND CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT FOR OFFICE MANAGER
HOURS: 25 hours per week, five days a week, Monday through Friday.
SALARY: Paid semi-monthly @ at rate proposed by human resources and approved by session.
SICK LEAVE: Four (4) days annually with maximum accumulation of 30 days.
VACATION: Two (2) work weeks annually awarded after six months employment with no carryover.
EVALUATION: Three months probationary period with performance review determining future employment. At the end of the three-month probationary period, evaluation and salary review will be conducted biennially.
PAID HOLIDAYS: Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day and the day after, Christmas Eve and Day, New Year’s Day.
RESIGNATION: 30 days’ notice of resignation is required
Revised/Reviewed by PCR Human Resources Committee: August 19, 2015; October 26, 2020.
Session Approval: October 27, 2020.